Thursday, April 28, 2011

tumblr

(Note: These messages are not adressed to me)

I was skimming my facebook feed when I saw someone comment on how trashy 'tumblr' is nowadays. It is completely true. When did it become a home for angsty 15 year olds complaining about how they've never been kissed, not thin enough, not pretty enough, not rich enough, not enough followers, anonymous hate mail, drama drama drama!

OH PLEASE. I can't even ask for them to grow up because that would be asking so much of them.

You'll tell me if I don't like what I see, then don't read it, I'll tell you, unlike facebook, where I can hide posts of people I have no interest for, I can't do the same for tumblr unless I'd have to unfollow them entirely, but then if I did, I wouldn't have anyone to follow anymore.

I used to use that site as a source for editorial shoots and design inspiration, but in recent years (in the last year and a half) I have seen my dashboard flood with questionable images of girls posting their own images of their body asking the world if they need to lose weight, reading saddening posts of girls saying they weight 40kg and still think they're overweight, girls who can't pull away from their abusive relationships, hate mail in their inbox etc etc

There's this sad distressing realisation that these girls, as dramatic as they are, really do honestly believe their world is going to end if they don't achieve their unrealistic goals of becoming the most beautiful lusted woman in all mankind, and will brutally abuse and stab anyone who stands in their way.

It's just sad and funny that only recently the site has exploded in 'popularity', I miss it's humble beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment